I thoroughly enjoy working for the City of Ottawa. However, there are some considerations:
- It's a safe job, therefore many employees are incredibly lazy
- Management must trudge through a mountain of red tape to change anything.
- Don't have hopes of changing much or being appropriately recognized for going the extra mile.
With the union, the City does take care of its employees:
- Great counselling resources
- Adequate (sometimes slow-to-respond) compensation.
- Seniority system that rewards tenure and experience
- Protected and limited liability.
It takes a special personality type to enjoy a long-term career with the City. If you are ambitious and want a competitive career, look to the private sector. However, if you want a clear-cut, safe, protected, and transparent job, the City is perfect for you.
Compensation, Resources, Benefits, Time off
Lazy staff, Red Tape, Cheap, Slow, Socially agonizaing