Insights from Canfor’s Talent Acquisition team:
• Prepare for your interview in advance and visit canfor.com to gain a better understanding of our operations, core values and the department or mill (sawmill or pulp mill) associated with the role.
• Be yourself! We all know interviews can be nerve-racking, and we will do our best to make you feel comfortable throughout the process.
• Review the job posting and if you have any specific questions about your role and responsibilities write them down and bring them up during your interview.
• In many interviews, we ask “behavioral questions” to get to know your work history and experience. Using and understanding the “SHARE” or “STAR” model to answer these questions will help you to prepare for these questions when they come up in your meeting.
• Prior to your interview, inquire with your recruiter if there’s anything else you should prepare for. We will do our best to get you ready and prepared for your interview day.
Insights from Canfor’s Talent Acquisition team: We believe in work-life balance which allows employees to be productive and safe at their jobs while also getting to enjoy their hobbies and family time. There may be occasional peak times to meet deadlines at our mills, and likewise for employees at our offices, we are surrounded by an exceptional team to help project manage and deliver results.
Is the "call list" traditional? Ie. No full time hours? Or can a new hire expect a full time job at the get go?
Insights from Canfor’s Talent Acquisition team: The call-list is a common practice at sawmills and allows companies to scale its operations. For entry-level positions at our sawmills individuals start on the call-list regardless of their experience and connections. During this time you will be “on-call” and must be available to work shifts on short notice. An individual may be eligible to bid on full-time positions after a period of time with consideration by management on your experience, education, work performance and call-list attendance.
Many entry-level positions at our pulp mill operations start on a full-time basis, working upwards of 40 hours per week, with no call-list.
Insights from Canfor’s Talent Acquisition team: We operate industrial sites that use technology to convert logs into lumber at sawmills and use other parts of the tree (wood chips) to produce pulp and paper at our pulp mills. If you don’t want to sit at a desk all day and have an interest in wood products and manufacturing, you will love it here. We are safe and productive and get stuff done. In addition, Canfor follows strict regulatory and safety requirements to ensure that all of our work sites exceed regional standards to provide safe environments for all employees.
We believe in work-life balance which allows employees to be productive and safe at their jobs while also getting to enjoy their hobbies and family time. Each mill and office site has their own great culture which feeds into our global network. We have a supportive employee community and welcome new employees to be part of the exciting Canfor experience.
Insights from Canfor’s Talent Acquisition team: You will be an important contributor to our operations and the company. In addition, you will be working alongside the best and brightest in the business and sharing your expertise, insights and ideas.
We believe in work-life balance which allows employees to be productive and safe at their jobs while also getting to enjoy their hobbies and family time. We have a variety of benefits and offer regionally competitive compensation for our employees.
For those just getting to know us, we are recognized as a global forest products company, with operations in Canada, the US and Europe. We take a renewable resource grown with the power of the sun and turn virtually 100% of it into useful, sustainable products. Our solid wood is used to build residential and commercial structures, and our pulp and paper is manufactured to make everyday products from facial tissue, tea bags, masking tape, wallpaper to labels that go on beer bottles.
Come join our team and make a difference and build your career with Canfor!
Insights from Canfor’s Talent Acquisition team: After successfully completing our interview process, a reference and background check is required prior to the official hiring.